Don’t wait for severe weather to arrive to start thinking about keeping yourself and your family safe. Being StormAware means having a plan before severe weather strikes. The following tips can help you create a tornado-safety plan.
Quick Tornado Facts
Parents should make sure their children know:
- What a tornado is
- What tornado watches and warnings are
- What county or parish they live in (warnings are issued by county or parish)
- How to take shelter, whether at home or at school
- Create a plan for where you and your family will go in the event of a tornado — at home, at work and at relatives’ or friends’ homes that you visit frequently. Always be alert to changing weather conditions.
- Pick a safe room in your home where household members and pets may gather during a tornado. This should be a basement, storm cellar or an interior room on the lowest floor with no windows.
- Listen to NOAA Weather Radio or to commercial radio or television newscasts for the latest information.
- Check with your work and your children’s school and day care center regarding tornado emergency plans. Every building has different safe places. It is important to know where they are and how to get there in an emergency.
- Make sure everyone understands how tornado siren warning systems work and if a warning system is installed in your area.
- Mark clearly where your first-aid kit and fire extinguishers are located. Make sure the first-aid kit is properly stocked with medical supplies.
- Teach your family how to administer basic first aid, how to use a fire extinguisher, and how and when to turn off water, gas, and electricity in your home.
- Mark clearly where the utility switches or valves are located so they can be turned off – if time permits – in an emergency.
- Learn the emergency dismissal policy for your child’s school.
All listing information is deemed reliable but not guaranteed and should be independently verified through personal inspection by appropriate professionals. Listings displayed on this website may be subject to prior sale or removal from sale; availability of any listing should always be independent verified. Listing information is provided for consumer personal, non-commercial use, solely to identify potential properties for potential purchase; all other use is strictly prohibited and may violate relevant federal and state law.
The source of the listing data is as follows:
| Stellar MLS (updated 2/25/20 9:51 PM)